Sunday, January 3, 2010

wontons stuffed with my rav filling - i refuse to throw away good cheese

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 22I still had a plastic bag full of tasty mushroom-ricotta filling in the fridge (from my partially successful raviolis) and I needed to do something with it. I mean, there's no reason to get rid of a perfectly good mixture of mushrooms and cheese. I'm not sure if this should even be posted here, considering it's not technically a recipe... But I feel this is more of a redemption for me considering my raviolis didn't quite come out well. I replaced my thick homemade pasta dough with store bought wonton wrappers (hey, if I could, I would make my own wonton wrappers... but that's just pushing it).

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 01
Opposed to the raviolis where I used 2 sheets of dough, I only used 1 sheet of the wonton wrappers to fold around my filling.

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 03wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 05
I began with folding the corners upwards, almost like a purse. I made a few variations of this purse-style, mostly because I wasn't pleased with the way it kept coming out.

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 06
My mother who was sitting next to me making her own versions, decided to fold them over lazily hot-dog style. So basically we had a whole family of odd shaped wontons - Multiple purse styles, hot-dogs, hamburgers, circles, anything you can imagine.

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 11wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 10
So go figure- the only ones that burst and spilled out while baking in the oven were my odd-shaped purse ones. The simple shaped ones (a.k.a. the ones my mom made) held their own and remained perfectly intact.

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 13wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 16
I arranged them on a plate for little appetizers for us to eat before our actual dinner.

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 21
So how did they taste?- Exactly the same as the raviolis except with a much less noticeable dough surrounding the filling.

wontons with mushroom & ricotta - 24
These were much more enjoyed than my ravioli and actually made a perfect little app. Believe it or not, the dough really did make a large impact on how tasty the final product was.

---RECIPE---

ingredients:
For the filling recipe, click here.

directions:
1. Spread about a teaspoon of filling in the center of each wonton wrapper.
2. Get a small bowl of water and with your fingertips wet the edges of the wrapper.
3. Wrap them up however you please, although I'd obviously now suggest a simple fold over.
4. Place them on a baking pan and drizzle oil on both sides of all the wontons.
5. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 or so minutes, or until they look done.

No comments:

Post a Comment