Friday, January 8, 2010

whole wheat pancakes - drowning it in syrup negates the healthiness, but who cares

whole wheat pancakes - 31After my amazing results with the english scones, I sought to conquer more food processor related recipes. I had just finished baking the scones when my dad came by to tell me that he was going to pick up fast food for breakfast- I don't think so! I'm in a baking frenzy and I have a food processor in front of me ready to roll. I quickly searched for a whole wheat pancake recipe (attempting to be healthy here) and gathered the needed ingredients as my dad sat back and waited.

whole wheat pancakes - 01whole wheat pancakes - 02
The whole wheat flour and oats added to the health factor in these pancakes. Also, there really wasn't that much butter used in this recipe.

whole wheat pancakes - 05whole wheat pancakes - 06
What I liked about this recipe was that it suggested that you use a food processor. By cutting in the butter, the dough will have that fluffy texture almost similar to biscuits.

whole wheat pancakes - 07whole wheat pancakes - 09
A whole ton of liquid gets poured in, and all of a sudden the batter becomes runny.

whole wheat pancakes - 17
My mom, who claims to know everything, said that the batter was too watery to make pancakes. I proposed that I should at least try it, because I know damn well I followed the directions exactly.

whole wheat pancakes - 18
So I'm standing there watching this pile of liquid, hoping that it will soon combine together. I learned from Bobby Flay's pancake throwdown that the pancakes are ready to flip once the bubbles rise.

whole wheat pancakes - 12whole wheat pancakes - 13
So the first ones didn't come out perfect, but they tasted freakin good. My parents couldn't even tell that these were whole wheat pancakes.

whole wheat pancakes - 19whole wheat pancakes - 23
I soon got the hang of it, and was whipping out pancake after pancake. Also, the recipe stated that there were 4 servings, but I honestly made at least 15 pancakes (and still had to throw out the rest of the batter), so I'm not sure how many pancakes are considered a serving to the guy that made this recipe, lol.

whole wheat pancakes - 26whole wheat pancakes - 27
Time for me to taste. The pancakes were a lot thinner than typical pancakes, probably because they were so runny. Other than that, the inside was moist and soft, and surprisingly tasted fine by itself.

whole wheat pancakes - 28
But nothing goes better with healthy whole wheat pancakes than tons of maple syrup.

whole wheat pancakes - 32
Holy crap, these pancakes were so good. And this is my first time making pancakes, ever (like I've never even made Bisquick before). So considering all that, I think I'm pretty much the shit.

whole wheat pancakes - 33
I think I'm going to have to add these pancakes to my repertoire because they are that delicious.
---RECIPE---
Adapted from All Recipes.

ingredients:
1 cup whole wheat flour
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup wheat germ (I substituted rolled oats)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
5 1/3 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups buttermilk (I used skim milk instead. probably healthier anyways)
2 eggs, beaten
3 tablespoons unsalted butter

directions:
1.In a food processor or in a large bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, white flour, wheat germ or oats, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, and salt.
2.Cut the butter into small pieces with a knife, and add the butter to the flour-mixture. Mix until the mixture has a sand-like consistency.
3.Make a well in the center of the flour-butter mixture, and add the buttermilk and eggs. Stir until the liquids are fully incorporated.
4.Heat a frying pan over medium heat and grease the surface with 1 tablespoon of butter or oil. Ladle the batter onto the surface to form 4 inch pancakes. Once bubbles form on the top of the pancakes, flip them over, and cook them on the other side for about 2 minutes.

amount:
Makes 4 servings (pshh yeah, for 4 hungry fat people)

No comments:

Post a Comment