Sunday, March 7, 2010

mexican-inspired quiche - we ended up eating scrambled eggs instead

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 44While waiting for our assortment of scones to bake and cool, my cousin's stomach began to rumble. What I learned after spending every waking moment with her was that she apparently has an out-of-this-world feeding schedule. And by feeding schedule, I mean having to feed her like a puppy every hour on the dot. I looked in my fridge and found a ton of eggs and some leftover bacon. We could take the easy way out and simply make fried bacon and scrambled eggs... Or we could go all out and make a quiche! Needless to say, we opted for the quiche. We even made homemade pie crust- how do you like them apples?

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 05mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 07
Back to the food processor, and back to the rolling board (P.S., my grandma sent me this nifty Tupperware rolling board thing. Isn't she the sweetest little thing?).

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 08
The crust rolled out pretty nicely (even due to the fact that my cousin attempted to ruin the dough by cutting the circumference without measuring it in the pan first). Yeah, I'm a nazi at this shit.

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 13mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 15
I placed my makeshift baking beans (uncooked rice) over the pie crust so it wouldn't puff up, while my cousin beat the eggs.

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 01mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 04
While the crust baked in the oven, we prepared the filling. Apparently all I had in my fridge were onions and bell peppers, so I guess that had to do.

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 16mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 23
After the crust finished baking (we eyeballed the timing because my cousin doesn't like to be precise), we filled the cute little tart up to the brim. What should be especially noted was that we used no recipe for this entire dish (not counting the pie crust, because that needed to be exact). We guessed how many eggs to beat and surprisingly 6 was just the right amount. We also guessed the amount of bacon, onion, and bell pepper to perfectly spread throughout every bite. But let's not forget the cheese....

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 30mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 31
I had the final say on the amount of cheese we added- which was obviously a very good amount. Speaking of which, the only type of cheese I had in my fridge was the "Mexican Blend". It was on sale and I had no idea what it tasted like, but I figured it would go with our newly-Mexican-inspired quiche.

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 41
To be quite honest, the quiche came out deliciously. We winged the entire process, even down to baking time, and I was surprised that it came out flawlessly. The only tiff I had was that the crust dough wasn't baked thoroughly and was sort of soggy. If only we baked the crust longer, the quiche would have been impeccable. Also, by having both bell peppers and the Mexican cheese, it was like a little Mexican-fiesta in your mouth.

mexican cheese and bacon quiche tart - 45
The best part of this whole ordeal was that the quiche was taking so long to bake, the scones were too soggy, and my cousin began having fainting-spells because of her lack of food. Luckily my boyfriend was over and saved the day with his cream-cheese-eggs and bacon breakfast (my favorite). So yes, we did actually end up eating eggs and bacon for breakfast, which was what we tried to avoid in the first place. I ain't complaining though; we had a tasty breakfast and a delicious lunch.

---PIE CRUST RECIPE---
Taken from Cook's Illustrated.

ingredients:
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour , plus extra for dusting dough
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter , chilled, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
3 tablespoons vegetable shortening , chilled (we just used more butter)
3–4 tablespoons ice water (we don't have an ice machine, so the water was just moderately cold)

directions:
1. Mix flour, salt, and sugar in food processor fitted with steel blade. Scatter butter pieces over flour mixture, tossing to coat butter with a little of the flour. Cut butter into flour with five 1-second pulses. Add shortening and continue cutting in until flour is pale yellow and resembles coarse cornmeal, with butter bits no larger than small peas, about four more 1-second pulses. Turn mixture into medium bowl.
2. Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water over mixture. With blade of rubber spatula, use folding motion to mix. Press down on dough with broad side of spatula until dough sticks together, adding up to 1 tablespoon more ice water if it will not come together. Shape into ball with hands, then flatten into 4-inch-wide disk. Dust lightly with flour, wrap in plastic, and refrigerate at least 30 minutes before rolling.
3. See, the recipe doesn't state as to how long/what temperature you should bake the crust. Which is why we had to resort to eyeballing it, hence the sogginess.)

---QUICHE RECIPE---
Made up by my cousin and myself.

1. Cook half a pack of bacon, and use the fatty leftovers to sautee half an onion and half a bell pepper.
2. Beat 6 eggs with desired seasonings (we probably only used salt, pepper, and perhaps Italian seasoning- which would be the only thing I own).
3. Pour everything, including eggs, bacon, and veggies into baked (and by baked, I mean baked) pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese (I'd go with the Mexican cheese- yum) and place in preheated 350 degree oven.
4. Bake until firm-ish!

No comments:

Post a Comment