Wednesday, March 10, 2010

spaghetti carbonara - perfect for those who need to be fed constantly

spaghetti carbonara - 18Wednesdays are usually my "relax" days. I only have class late at night, so I typically spend my day with my boyfriend running errands or just hanging out. But since my little cousin was visiting me, we spent it bonding and being gay and girly. I really missed spending time with her, but more importantly I enjoyed getting to know the new woman she has become. Anyways, (enough mushy crap), in between our "bonding time", my boyfriend came over with his puppy, hungry as usual. What to do with two constantly hungry people at my house? Cook obviously.

spaghetti carbonara - 01spaghetti carbonara - 02
Honestly, I'm not very good at feeding other people. On the average day, I eat a bland salad or I crack open a can of tuna and eat it out of tin. I guess this gave me more of a reason to go all out and make fancy meals for others. Somehow, after almost an hour of deliberation, we ended upon spaghetti carbonara. While I prepared the pasta, my cousin and/or my boyfriend readied the bacon.

spaghetti carbonara - 03spaghetti carbonara - 05
The reason we decided upon carbonara was probably because of its ease. Once the pasta had cooked, we threw it in the bacon (and bacon juice), then poured our cheese mixture atop.

spaghetti carbonara - 08spaghetti carbonara - 07
And then basically we were ready to eat. With such simplicity, this was definitely the most perfect recipe to feed two hungry guests.

spaghetti carbonara - 10
Even though this meal was meant for my ravenous visitors, I still had to have a bowl for myself.

spaghetti carbonara - 13spaghetti carbonara - 16
Pretty damn good, I must say. Especially since we used no recipe yet again (I mean, you should know by now that being around my cousin and my boyfriend, that we'll most likely never use a recipe).

spaghetti carbonara - 24
So I was grateful that first of all, I nourished my two favorite people in this world, and second of all, I got to eat a deliciously cheesy pasta. Two birds with one stone- awesome.

---RECIPE---
Very loosely adapted from About.com.

ingredients:
1 lb spaghetti
1/4 cup heavy cream
4 eggs
1/2 lb bacon, cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
1/4 cup parmesan cheese

directions:
1. Fill a large soup pot with cold water and add a handful or so of Kosher salt. Stir and taste; it should taste like seawater. Cover the pot and heat the water until it boils.
2. Add the diced bacon to a cold sautee pan and cook slowly over a low heat for 10 to 15 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and drain on paper towels.
3. Drop the spaghetti into the boiling salted water and cook according to package instructions, about 6 to 9 minutes or until al dente, or tender but still firm to the bite.
4. While the pasta cooks, combine the eggs, cheese, cream and olive oil in a bowl and beat with a whisk until completely mixed.
5. Drain pasta, toss with the egg and cream mixture, then add the cooked bacon and chopped parsley. Serve right away, with additional grated cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment