Sunday, February 28, 2010

asian chicken salad wraps - proof that i'm not good at everything (believe it or not)

asian chicken salad wraps - 40Just like the previous day, my boyfriend was in one of those "let's eat healthy" moods. Although I have come to terms with my recent weight gain, I still am reluctant to begin a hardcore healthy lifestyle (which results in me moaning and groaning when I hear my boyfriend say the words "healthy food"). We compromised by making Asian chicken salad wraps. Before gathering and preparing our ingredients, I looked up different recipes and options for our wraps. My boyfriend, as usual, shunned the idea of following someone else's recipe and insisted we make up our own.

asian chicken salad wraps - 01asian chicken salad wraps - 02
Since I know almost nothing about cooking meat (being that I hate the thought of raw meat), I simply stepped back and observed my boyfriend. He made his own marinade by quickly dashing and sprinkling random ingredients, meanwhile, I was trying to accurately record everything into my cell phone.

asian chicken salad wraps - 04asian chicken salad wraps - 09
As our chicken marinaded, we went to the grocery store to buy the remaining ingredients. While walking down the salad aisle, he grabbed a (-gasp-) prepackaged salad mix complete with all the bells and whistles. I didn't even have time to fight or complain because the sun was setting and all chances of preparing the meal as well as taking photos in the sunlight were slim. As disappointed as I was, I had to comply.

asian chicken salad wraps - 07asian chicken salad wraps - 12
When we got back, the chicken was cooked and chopped (and tasty might I add).

asian chicken salad wraps - 17asian chicken salad wraps - 22
Meanwhile, I prepared the wraps. I warmed the tortillas, placed a pile of salad in the center, and then dropped a few chunks of chicken over top.

asian chicken salad wraps - 24
After a little wrap around, my healthy alternative to a burrito came together.

asian chicken salad wraps - 30asian chicken salad wraps - 34
While I'd like to say that we deserve all the credit for this, truth of the matter is that we cannot since we used a prepackaged salad mix. Putting that aside, these were pretty damn good. The chicken was marinated and cooked perfectly, and most importantly pulled everything together wonderfully.

asian chicken salad wraps - 36
I was too busy enjoying my tasty wrap that I didn't even bother to look at my boyfriend and how he was doing. I have no idea how he managed to assemble such a monstrous yet flawlessly executed wrap. I mean- take a look at my puny little wrap and compare it to this perfectly oval shaped wrap stuffed to the brim with chicken.

asian chicken salad wraps - 41
I had to physically take his plate away from him, just so I could photograph this ginormous baby. Meanwhile, he went to make another wrap for him to take to work the following day, which I too grabbed out of his hands to take further photos of. He really is the master of folding wraps; I'll give that to him.

---RECIPE---
All by my boyfriend.

marinade recipe: (approximate estimates:)
1/4 cup soy sauce
juice of half a lime
1+1/2 tablespoons sweet chili garlic sauce
1+1/2 tablespoons peanut butter
1+1/2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon black bean paste
1 tablespoon mirin
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon crushed black pepper

directions:
1. Marinate 4 chicken breasts in marinade for a few hours.
2. After done marinating, cook in skillet and chop up into bite sized pieces.
3. Ready prepackaged Asian salad mix (or make your own), and warm tortillas.
4. Place tortilla on flat surface, add heaping (seriously heaping if you want nice pretty wraps like my boyfriend's) pile of salad and then heaping pile of chicken. Wrap sides up together.

No comments:

Post a Comment