Saturday, February 27, 2010

cheesy turkey burgers - my kinda diet food

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 48I'm not gonna lie, but ever since I started baking, I've gained a bit of weight. Yeah sure, in the beginning I was pretty freakin' pissed and completely in denial, but eventually I came to terms with it. It's just a fact that I can't happily live (as in allowing me to bake) and be skinny at the same time- it's just not happening. Anyways, so somewhere among one of my many bitches to my boyfriend about my weight gain, something affected him in a strange way. Ever since then, he's been on his own little "diet" (when honestly, neither of us can be on a "diet" for more than a few days). What sent up red flags in my head was when I was at the grocery store and I asked him if there was anything he needed, and he replied "ground turkey".

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 01turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 02
Okay, first of all- he doesn't even like turkey (I know this because he so permanently ingrained it in my head from Thanksgiving). Even stranger was that he went out and bought whole wheat thin pita roll things, as opposed to our usual fattening white rolls.

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 08turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 09
At first I was confused- Like, there's no way this could be my boyfriend. But then I figured it was just "one of those days" and I went along with his little turkey-burger idea.

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 14turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 20
I knew my boyfriend was hidden under there somewhere once I saw him grab a ton of cheese out of the fridge and assemble a cheese spread for the bread- Now that's what I'm talkin' about.

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 36turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 32
I understand that prettiness wasn't a factor in creating these burgers (obvi, they're sloppily made and look completely squashed), but I was hoping my boyfriend hadn't forgotten than tastiness was just as important as healthiness.

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 21
Now, I'm a decently big turkey burger fan, but these did not taste like my typical turkey burgers. In fact, if I hadn't known these were turkey, I probably wouldn't have been able to guess that.

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 45
With that said, these were actually tastier than many turkey burger I've previously had. The meat was a lot more moist and flavorful, and I can't forget about the delicious blue cheese spread we added.

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 40turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 27
The gooey cheesiness oozed out the sides of the burger the second you took a bite. See all that cheesy goodness? I couldn't have asked for a cheesier burger if I wanted to. For once I can actually say my daily dose of cheese has been fulfilled.

turkey burgers with blue cheese spread - 29
My boyfriend, on the other hand, actually did think it was too cheesy for him (what a disgrace) and ended up wiping some of the cheese off his burger. I willingly came to the rescue and ate all the excess cheese for him. So much for either of us being on a diet...

---RECIPE---

1 comment: