Sunday, February 7, 2010

super bowl - mini bacon & cheddar quiches - not very bacon-y

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 23So what other types of Super Bowl appetizers could I create with crescent rolls- Quiches? But I already made sausage quiches for Thanksgiving. I figured I'd use some bacon instead and make it less bready than last time. I mean, come on- I bought a freakin' mini muffin pan so I need to find more uses for it to make my investment worthwhile. And to make the quiches even more delish I figured I'd make it extra cheesy this time. Last time it appeared that everyone enjoyed my sausage quiches, so if I just turn it up a notch or two, I was sure everyone would love these too.

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 02mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 03
I got the basic idea for ingredients from another Pillsbury recipes online. The quiche mixture is a lot more cream cheese than egg- which I ain't complaining about. I also added some sauteed onion and seasoning to make it even more tastier.

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 04mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 07
The morning of the Super Bowl I readied my cute little muffin tin. Instead of separating each biscuit in half as my base (which I did last time), I chose to divide them into three. I felt that last time it was too bready and less quichey, so I thought using less dough would solve that problem. On top of that went a little sprinkle of crushed crispy bacon.

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 09mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 10
And finally the baby tins get smothered in cheesy goodness.

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 14
I guess when the cheddar cheese melted into the egg mixture it made a weird little indentation pattern on the top. They looked interesting to say the least.

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 25mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 17
I was dying to get my hands on one of these adorable little bundles of cheese and carbs (probably my two favorite food groups).

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 26
They tasted pretty good actually. The biscuit dough baked perfectly and was the best vehicle for carrying the light and creamy cheese mixture. Unfortunately they lacked in the bacon department.

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 27
They probably should have just been called "mini cheese quiches" considering each little guy probably had a miniscule portion of bacon. This picture is actually very deceiving- in reality, most of the quiches had probably half (if that) amount of bacon seen in this lucky quiche.

mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 28mini bacon & cheese quiches with crescent rolls (super bowl) - 19
For some reason though I couldn't stop eating these babies. I must sound like a broken record- but honestly to me, anything with cheese tastes delicious.

---RECIPE---
Idea from All Recipes, but slightly adapted.

ingredients:
4 slices bacon
1 8-ounce package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoon cooked onion
1 clove garlic
1 sprinkle of salt, pepper, and garlic powder
1 can Pillsbury refrigerated biscuits

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease mini muffin cups.
2. Place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until crisp and evenly brown. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
3. Place the cream cheese, milk, and eggs in a medium bowl, and beat until smooth with an electric mixer set on low. Stir in cheddar cheese, onion, garlic, and seasoning, and set aside.
4. Separate each biscuit dough into three pieces. Press each mini biscuit into the bottom and sides of each muffin cup. Sprinkle bacon evenly into the bottoms of the dough-lined muffin cups. Spoon cheese mixture into each cup, reaching almost the brim.
5. Bake 10-15 minutes in the preheated oven, until filling is set and rims of the tarts are golden brown.

amount:
Makes 30 mini quiches.

1 comment:

  1. Delicious, delicious idea!
    I changed up a few things such as -
    using a little less cream cheese and changing it to low fat; used 6 total eggs; added lots of veggies such as carmelized onions, asparagus, and frozen spinach; and I used crescent creations cut into squares instead of biscuits.
    In turn, it made about twice as many quiches.
    Heavenly taste!
    Thanks for sharing such a great creation.

    ReplyDelete