Monday, February 1, 2010

neiman marcus cookie - my first taste at a non-cook's-illustrated cookie in months

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 42Ever since we had that chocolate chip cookie contest, I haven't made any chocolate chip cookie other than the Cook's Illustrated "Thick and Chewy" (not including my edible and bakeable cookies). I'm not saying that it doesn't taste good- in fact, it tastes awesome for the most part- but I'm just getting sick of it. My boyfriend was over my house today, and I thought I'd bake him some cookies to take home. Instead of my go-to recipe, I opted to try the Neiman Marcus cookie instead (it did get 2nd place in the throwdown). I wonder if my boyfriend will be able to notice the difference between the two.

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 02neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 04
What I love about this recipe is that it uses ground oats (so ground that it actually resembles coarse flour). I'm not sure what this really does to the batter, but it gives it a slightly crispy yet airy texture.

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 09neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 12
The rest of the recipe is fairly basic. It's almost as if someone just randomly threw out ratios for each of the ingredients (I mean, mostly everything is by 1 cup or 2 cup measurements). I guess I'm just so used to Cook's Illustrated using their crazy accurate "1 cup + 2 tablespoons" nonsense.

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 05neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 20
The ground oats and flour mixture gets added to the wet ingredients. The batter didn't taste as good as other chocolate chip cookie doughs, probably because of the small pieces of oats.

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 22
And of course- since I am making cookies for my boyfriend, they must contain white chocolate chips.

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 28neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 30
I baked them shorter than the time the recipe stated because these were such smaller cookies. (The last time we baked these, they came out huge chewy cookies.)

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 32
The shorter time allowed for these cookies to bake beautifully (and by beautifully I mean they were slightly underbaked, because that's just how I like 'em).

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 44neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 43
These cookies had a slightly crunchy exterior, especially compared with the Cook's Illustrated. I usually don't like crisp cookies, but the fact that the outside greatly contrasted with the inside was amazing.

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 34
The hard outer shell protected all the gooey-goodness hidden inside. I love food that has a duality to it, which these definitely provided. The tiny crispy oat flakes were suspended in this gooey chewy (and chocolaty) center and could best be described as a party in your mouth.

neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 35neiman marcus famous chocolate chip cookie - 38
But of course- this delightful attack on your taste buds could only be achieved by underbaking the cookies and by eating them fresh out of the oven. I will continue to fight for underbaked cookies, yet at the same time never tell my boyfriend (a raw cookie dough hater). If only he knew that he was basically consuming raw cookie dough...

---RECIPE---
Taken from Urban Legends, but can be found almost anywhere. It was one of those chain email forward things (obviously false), but I think almost everyone got one of these in their email at one point in time. These make more than 100 cookies, so definitely halve/quarter/whatever the amounts.

ingredients:
2 cup butter
4 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
2 cup granulated sugar
2 cup brown sugar
5 cup blended oatmeal (measure oatmeal and blend in blender to a fine powder)
24 ounces chocolate chips
1 teaspoon salt
1 8-ounce Hershey bar, grated (omitted)
4 eggs
2 teaspoon baking powder
3 cup chopped nuts (omitted)
2 teaspoon vanilla

directions:
1. Measure oats and mix in blender until resembles a fine powder or corn flour.
2. Cream the butter and both sugars. Add eggs and vanilla.
3. Mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and soda.
4. Add chocolate chips, Hershey bar and nuts.
5. Roll into balls and place two inches apart on a cookie sheet
6. Bake for 10 minutes at 375 degrees.

amount:
Makes 112 cookies. (holy shit. seriously, who's going to bake that many?)

No comments:

Post a Comment