Friday, December 25, 2009

honey-butter cookies - thin is in

honey-butter cookies - 07With half of a honey-bear staring at me, I knew I had to find a way to use up the rest of him. I found a recipe in my magazine under the icebox cookies section using the exact amount of honey needed to dispose of the bear. Icebox cookies are basically just cookies where the dough needs resting in the fridge- usually resulting in slice-and-bake versions. Although this particular recipe was not slice-and-bake, I figured I would go ahead and do it anyways. I mean, it seems easy enough- roll the dough into a log, freeze, then slice to desired sized rounds.

honey-butter cookies - 01
So I made the dough in the morning, and stuck it in the freezer to chill for about an hour. I know, it looks pretty disturbing and almost phallic-like.

honey-butter cookies - 02
Cutting it was fun though. I definitely cut the slices wider than they wanted. It's just a personal thing- but I will always prefer a thicker and chewier cookie over a thin and crispy one. So, being that I think I know everything, I sliced the cookies the way I wanted and also assumed they would come out the way I wanted.

honey-butter cookies - 03honey-butter cookies - 04
They look so cute! (and thick)

honey-butter cookies - 11
Hmmm, doesn't look like I cut them all even, lol.

honey-butter cookies - 05
Okay, the recipe was right- I should have cut them thinner. They were like crispy on the outside and cake-like in the center (well maybe that's how they were supposed to be- but I just don't like cake textures!) Haaate when I'm wrong.

honey-butter cookies - 09
They really weren't bad otherwise. As long as you're a honey fan, it's all good.

honey-butter cookies - 10
My little family photo here, with the paper towel backdrop, lol.

honey-butter cookies - 12honey-butter cookies - 13
Packing them up for g-ma to "save". I think these would be good with a filling of some sort in between two of the cookies.

---RECIPE---
Taken from Better Homes and Garden magazine, 100 Best Cookies, December 2009

ingredients:
1/3 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg
2/3 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon lemon extract (optional) (who the hell owns lemon extract?)
2+3/4 cup all-purpose flour

directions:
1. In a large bowl beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add sugar, baking soda, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Beat in egg, honey, and if desired, lemon extract until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Cover and chill about 1 hour or until dough is easy to handle. (I rolled dough into a log, around 2 inch in diameter, and froze for about an hour or two.)
2. Preheat oven to 375 degree. Lightly grease a cookie sheet; set aside. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough until 1/8 to 3/4 inch thick. Using 2 1/2 inch cookie cutters, cut out dough. Place cutouts 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet. (I sliced rounds that were larger than- although they probably should be- 1/8th to 3/4th inch thickness.)
3. Bake for 7 to 8 minutes or until tops are golden brown and edges are set. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; cool. (I feel I definitely baked them longer, but I forgot.)

amount:
Makes about 30 cookies. (I got a little less than that, because I cut them so big.)

No comments:

Post a Comment