Wednesday, December 16, 2009

pecan pie bars - the best ego boost

pecan pie bars - 16I found this recipe a while ago and put it in my “to-bake list”. Given the recent failure to my Computer Programming Final, I needed to bake to put me in a better mood. I also needed the ego boost from my boyfriend to cheer me up. This meant I couldn't bake something he possibly might not like- I needed a no-fail recipe! Pecan-pie-anything always equals deliciousness to him.



pecan pie bars - 01pecan pie bars - 03
Ah, how coincidental- yet another gift from him- a shiny new 9x9 inch pan. I have a feeling most of my blog entries this month will begin with yet another early gift from my boyfriend.

pecan pie bars - 04pecan pie bars - 05
The original recipe was for a 9x13 inch pan, and I only had a 9x9 pan. A conversion chart told me that my pan holds half the amount of a 9x13, so I halved the recipe. Unfortunately I forgot to take into the consideration the part of the "bars" as having layers. Although the pan itself holds the cubic amount equal to half, the square of it doesn't quite equate. I know, my hardcore math skills should have known better, but I was in such a rut that day.

pecan pie bars - 06pecan pie bars - 07
I baked the bottom shortbread layer halved, regardless of what my mind was telling me. When it came out, I was slightly disappointed at how small the layer was. I improvised, making what I make best- graham cracker crust. I basically just crushed some graham crackers and melted butter over it, and then spread it evenly over the crust.

pecan pie bars - 08
Back into the oven it went, while I prayed for the best.

pecan pie bars - 09pecan pie bars - 11
Pecans were toasted of course, and added to the gross egg-corn-syrup mixture.

pecan pie bars - 12
Ugh, typical me, I miscalculated my time and had no opportunity to take a nice photo with sunlight. This photo is with flash; and yes, it is taken on my stoop outside lol.

pecan pie bars - 17
Flash forward to the following day (after telling my boyfriend to eat no more than 2, allowing me to take ample photos in the sunlight).

pecan pie bars - 13pecan pie bars - 21
The layers came out nicely (and I take credit for my ingenious graham cracker crust idea).

pecan pie bars - 18
Ooph, I love the look of melted chocolate... yum.

pecan pie bars - 20
Overall, these were a success and I did receive my much-needed ego boost.

---RECIPE---
Taken from Brown Eyed Baker.
I halved the recipe in some parts, 2/3rd-ed it in others, and basically made my own version.

crust:
1+1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar

filling:
3 large eggs
3/4 cup corn syrup
3/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1+3/4 cups semisweet chocolate
1+1/2 cups chopped pecans

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9×13-inch baking pan.
2. For the crust, mix together the flour, butter and brown sugar until crumbly. Press into the baking pan and bake for 12-15 minutes or until lightly brown. (I added my graham cracker crust as well)
3. For the filling, beat the eggs, corn syrup, sugar, butter and vanilla extract with a wire whisk. Stir in the chunks and pecans. Pour evenly over the baked crust and bake for 25-30 minutes or until set.
4. Cool in the pan on a wire rack. Cool completely and cut into bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment