Friday, December 25, 2009

sweet potato pie - lumpy and chunky and good

sweet potato pie - 35So what to do with an (almost) perfectly made pie crust? Fill it with something and bake it! While still searching for recipes that probably wouldn't be well-liked back home (thanks to my picky-eater), I chose a Sweet Potato Pie- the Neely's recipe to be exact. Okay, well I didn't technically go searching far and wide for a recipe like this; I actually went to the foodnetwork website and it was laying right there on the homepage. I though- how perfect; a recipe incorporating pie and an un-liked ingredient (sweet potato). Anyways, the directions seemed easy enough, and I love sweet potato regardless, so I thought I'd just give it a try.

sweet potato pie - 05
First step was to roast these babies until they were soft enough to mash. I tasted a few (or more) tiny stragglers and I immediatly fell back in love with sweet potatoes. It's been a while since I had some, and I guess I had forgotten how delicious they tasted.

sweet potato pie - 02
Mashing required some muscles (which I do not have) and it would have been nice to have a special someone help me out with this part (but only this part, because we know how much I hate help when it comes to baking).

sweet potato pie - 01sweet potato pie - 03
The butter and spice mixture soon gets incorporated with the mashed sweet potatoes to become the final filling mixture. Granted, the mixture was quite clumpy (because of my bad mashing), but the spicing tasted good.

sweet potato pie - 16
This of course then gets poured into my snazzy homemade pie crust.

sweet potato pie - 23
After an hour of baking.

sweet potato pie - 20sweet potato pie - 21
I was intrigued to know how my pie came out (and also how my first crust came out!)

sweet potato pie - 34sweet potato pie - 32
All in all, it actually came out really good (contrary to the reviews on the website- It was not lacking in sweetness like many reviewers stated).

sweet potato pie - 29
The filling part actually reminded me of pumpkin pie, but more a more chunky version. This would have been because of the pieces of sweet potato and what not due to my mashing skills (not that I'm complaining, I loved the chunks of sweet potato). The crust part came out flaky and even-cooked, although I felt it lacked a bit of flavor.

sweet potato pie - 24
Next time I would probably more thoroughly mash the sweet potatoes (because there literally were chunks of it- due to my non-existent-muscles of course). I would also probably try a different pie crust recipe- I mean, now that I know I have the power to create pie crusts, why stop at my first recipe?

---RECIPE---
Taken from the Neely's.

ingredients:
4 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 stick butter, softened
1/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 unbaked pie crust (the recipe I used here)

directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
2. Bake sweet potatoes for 1 hour in the oven on a baking sheet. When done, let cool. Scrape the pulp out of the skin, transfer to a large bowl, and mash. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl, beat together butter, sugar, and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs, vanilla, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, allspice and salt. Add evaporated milk and stir mixture into sweet potatoes. Beat together with mixer until smooth and pour into an unbaked pie shell.
4. Bake on bottom rack of oven for 1 hour or until center of pie is firm.

No comments:

Post a Comment