Monday, December 21, 2009

melting moments - 'twas time for a change

melting moments cookie - 03I don't know about you- but I'm sick of "chocolate-chip cookies" or "coconut cookies" or anything that needs something added to it and/or needs to be frosted... Basically I'm sick of anything that my boyfriend wants me to bake. I miss the old shortbread or plain butter cookie (Okay, maybe not so much. But something more along those lines). I know my boyfriend wouldn't like those types of cookies, and by me even baking Melting Moments was a far stretch itself.

melting moments cookie - 01melting moments cookie - 02
The dough tasted almost like the Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie dough. Probably because both include large amounts of butter and powdered sugar. Not to mention how ecstatic I was that I could eat as much dough as I wanted and feel no remorse because it was egg-less.

Just as the other doughs, it was shoved in the back of my fridge to never be seen for at least a week.

melting moments cookie - 03
These came out really good, and I got good reviews on this one (with the exception of my boyfriend, of course). I think it was secretly because everyone else was also sick of the Cook's Illustrated Chocolate Chip Cookies (which I'm forced to bake almost every week).

melting moments cookie - 05melting moments cookie - 07
It was nice to have a clean and delicate cookie. Not to mention how awesome it was that it actually did melt in your mouth. Proof of this was when my boyfriend picked one up to taste, and it crumbled in his own fingers... lol, I know I really can't count that as proof, seeing as how he's as strong as the Hulk in the first place.

melting moments cookie - 06
Christmas wreath in the background = sexy photo.

---RECIPE---
Taken from Joy of Baking.

cookie:
1+1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

topping:
1 cup powdered sugar, sifted

directions:
1. In a medium sized bowl whisk together the flour, cornstarch and salt. Set aside.
2. In the bowl of your electric mixer (or with a hand mixer), cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Beat in the vanilla extract. Add the flour mixture and beat until incorporated. Cover and refrigerate the dough for at least one hour or until firm.
3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and place rack in center of oven. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. When dough is firm, form into 1 inch balls (I feel 1 inch balls were slightly too big) and place the cookies on the prepared baking sheets spacing about 1 inch apart. Bake for about 12-14 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start to brown. Remove from oven and place on a wire rack to cool for about 5 minutes.
5. Meanwhile, line another baking pan or tray with parchment or wax paper. Sprinkle about half of the confectioners sugar onto the bottom of the pan and then place the slightly cooled cookies on top of the sugar. Put the remaining sugar in a fine strainer or sieve and then sprinkle the tops of the cookies (or you can just roll the cookies in the sugar) (I went for the easy route and just rolled the cookies in the sugar).

amount:
Makes about 3 dozen cookies (I always seem to make less cookies than the recipe states!)

No comments:

Post a Comment