Tuesday, December 15, 2009

ricotta muffins - so heavy they could break a window

ricotta muffins - 09Okay, I don't want to hear it. Yes, muffins with ricotta seem odd (especially after adding chocolate chips) but it really isn't! There's a ton of recipes online for ricotta muffins/cakes/baby-cakes... but I yet again improvised for a missing ingredient. Buttermilk = Yogurt, according a random website I found. From now on I'm going to force myself to follow the recipe completely, even if it means I need to take a last minute run to the grocery store to buy unnecessarily expensive products. I also should have known that yogurt and ricotta together equals a really dense piece of bakery.

ricotta muffins - 05
Time out- Look at these sexy silicone cupcake liners! My boyfriend (who knows me all too well) got these for me as part of my extensive birthday/Christmas presents. His impatience got the best of him, and I'm not complaining because I got some awesome stuff. These little red babies really are neat though- The cupcake easily slides out, they're easy to wash, I don't even think I need a muffin tin, but more importantly- no more buying stupid paper liners!

ricotta muffins - 02ricotta muffins - 03
Mixing the dough, it seemed really gooey (obvi because of the ricotta and yogurt combination). Whatever, I added the chocolate chips (the website I got it from suggested fruit, which probably would have been better).

ricotta muffins - 06ricotta muffins - 07
In the new silicone liners they go...

ricotta muffins - 18
After I removed them from the oven, they looked pretty darn good... I mean, they were pretty heavy, but they still appeared to be muffin-like.

ricotta muffins - 11ricotta muffins - 12
Okay- I just want to say this- I like dense things! Granted, these were extremely dense, but I didn't find them overly bothersome. As long as muffins aren't too cake-like or too dry, I'm perfectly content. I don't think anyone else agreed with me though...

ricotta muffins - 13
Insides looked nice, fluffy and air-pocket-y.

ricotta muffins - 14ricotta muffins - 15
I really didn't mind them if they were warm... Well, maybe it was because I just like anything with chocolate.

ricotta muffins - 17
Apparently no one else liked them because none were eaten. Whatever... you win some, you lose some. This one was a loss.

---RECIPE---
Taken from Cookie Madness.

ingredients:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1+1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 cup part skim ricotta cheese (I used whole ricotta)
1 cup buttermilk (substituted with yogurt, grrr)
2 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips

directions:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a standard size 12 cup muffin tin with flour-added cooking spray (I didn't need to, obvi because of my silicone cups!)
2. In a mixing bowl, thoroughly stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. In a second medium-sized bowl, and whisk together the ricotta cheese, buttermilk, eggs and vanilla.
3. Pour the ricotta mixture and the melted butter into the flour mixture and stir just until ingredients are blended; do not over-mix.
4. Stir in cherries, lemon and lemon juice or if making chocolate chip, omit cherries, lemon and lemon zest and add chocolate chips.
5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. It should come all the way to the top.
6. Bake on center rack of oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until lightly browned on top and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes, then remove and let cool completely.

amount:
Makes 12 muffins (for some reason I made at least double that...)

No comments:

Post a Comment